WHAT TO DO AFTER A PHOENIX CAR ACCIDENT
Did you know car accidents in Phoenix, Arizona, are rising? According to the Arizona Department of Transportation, there were almost 99,000 car crashes in the state of Arizona in 2020. Maricopa County, where Phoenix is located, had 71,611 car accidents in 2020.
The Arizona Department of Transportation says the total number of car crashes in the state increased by 22% in 2021.
PHOENIX — The number of people killed in traffic collisions increased by 12% in 2021, according to new data recently released by the Arizona Department of Transportation.
One of the top questions the Law Badgers get asked is, “What’s the first thing I should do if I’m involved in a car accident?” Answer: You keep safety first, even before calling Law Badgers, your Phoenix car accident lawyers. Next, use the Law Badgers car accident checklist.
CAR ACCIDENT CHECKLIST
- Check yourself and your passengers for injuries. If there are severe injuries, call 911 immediately to receive medical attention.
- IF you’re able to, check on everyone else involved in the accident. If anyone else is injured, call 911 for medical help.
- Move the vehicles out of traffic if it’s safe to do so.
- Take photos of all vehicles involved, from all types of angles including the front and back, even if the damage is just a tiny scratch.
- Take photos of the scene. Things to take pictures of include potholes, skid marks, or anything that could have caused the accident, such as a blocked stop sign. And take photos of any signage such as street names, highway numbers, etc.
- Take photos of any visible injuries ASAP – bruises, scratches, cuts, etc. Be sure to take pictures from multiple angles.
- Call 911 if you haven’t had to do so already so you can get an official police report which will help your injury claim.
- Do NOT speak to anyone other than to check if they’re okay, exchange contact information and insurance information.
- If there are eyewitnesses, get their testimonies and contact information.
- Now is when you call Law Badgers PLLC, your Phoenix metro car accident attorneys.
- Talk to your insurance company AFTER calling Law Badgers.
- Out of caution, seek medical treatment at urgent care or the emergency room if you haven’t already received medical treatment. Injuries such as internal bleeding could occur, and you may be unaware.
RULES FOR SPEAKING TO OTHER PARTIES IN A CAR ACCIDENT
The Law Badgers get asked, “Why can’t I speak to the other driver(s) involved?” all the time.
Like we said already, do NOT speak to anyone else other than to get contact information and their car insurance information. There are several reasons why you shouldn’t talk to anyone else involved in the car accident.
- Anything you say can be used against you in your Phoenix auto accident case or claim.
- Never say you’re not injured, even if it seems you’re not! Injuries may not appear until hours or even days after your accident.
- Don’t make statements about your driving, being at fault, etc. Let the Law Badgers speak for you, so you don’t have to stress.
- Saying things like “I looked away for a second” or “I was distracted” can be used against you– even if you’re not at fault!
WHEN TO HIRE A CAR ACCIDENT ATTORNEY
You should hire your Phoenix, Arizona auto accident attorney as soon as possible (but not before seeking medical attention if needed!). The sooner you hire your legal representation, the better. Not only can they begin working with you, but they can start handling the case for you. This way, you can focus on relaxing and healing.
If you don’t talk to a Phoenix attorney after your car accident (you should), Arizona’s statute of limitations for auto accidents is two years (A.R.S. § 12-542). The statute says the two-year period begins “when the cause of action accrues.” To put it simply, the period begins when your greater Phoenix area car wreck happens. Read The Law Badgers blog post about the statute of limitations to learn more, including how Arizona’s discovery rule and tolling periods could impact your case.
Even though the law says you have two years, that doesn’t mean you should wait to hire The Law Badgers. Call our team of Phoenix auto accident attorneys as soon as you can so we can begin to fight for you.
WHY YOU SHOULD HIRE A PHOENIX AUTO ACCIDENT ATTORNEY
Even if you’re not the cause of an accident, there are several reasons you should hire a Phoenix personal injury attorney.
First, insurance companies will do as little as possible to help you. When you’re involved in a Phoenix car accident, the insurance company’s own team of lawyers, adjusters, and claim representatives get to work. They will see how little they can assist you, and they will use anything you might say against you. Always talk to the Phoenix car accident lawyers at The Law Badgers before talking to insurance companies, even your own! Let our team handle your case for you and negotiate on your behalf. All of the attorneys at The Law Badgers have won trials, so you can be sure we’re here to help you as long as it takes. The Law Badgers have over 60 years of collective experience dealing with Phoenix auto accidents, personal injury claims, and more. The Law Badgers will fight for you whether it’s a car, a truck, or a motorcycle accident.
To ensure you receive all the compensation you’re entitled to, you should hire a metro Phoenix accident attorney. If you don’t hire an attorney, you could be missing out on all possible compensation that could rightfully be yours. The Law Badgers will help you get compensation for your Phoenix car accident.
TYPES OF COMPENSATION AND HOW MUCH YOUR SETTLEMENT IS WORTH
- Medical bills, current, and future
- Loss of earnings, present, and future
- Property damage expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of pleasure (hedonic damages)
- Wrongful death
Certain types of damages from your Phoenix auto accident can be more easily given a monetary value. Examples include medical bills, loss of earnings, and property damages. However, emotional pain, suffering, and hedonic damages are more difficult when it comes to specific monetary values. These types of damages are why you NEED to hire The Law Badgers. Our team can help determine the amount of all your damages.
Each Phoenix auto accident is different, meaning the worth of your settlement will differ from someone else’s. We know that can be frustrating to read, but it’s the truth. The good news is that we can help you figure out how much your car accident is worth. The Law Badgers will do their best to help you get as much as possible from your settlement. With over 60 years of collective experience, the Law Badgers PLLC is down to fight for you and your Phoenix car accident case.
PAYING FOR MEDICAL BILLS AFTER YOUR PHOENIX CAR ACCIDENT
If you’re involved in an auto accident, and it’s not your fault, your medical bills will ultimately be paid by the person who caused the accident and/or their insurance company. However, this doesn’t mean they immediately pay for your bills or your treatment. Ultimately, they cover the medical costs for your Phoenix area auto accident through the settlement you receive.
Until you receive your settlement, you and your medical insurance will have to pay for any co-pays, doctor visits, physical therapy sessions, and any other medical-related expenses you accrue due to your car wreck. After receiving your settlement, you can pay all of your medical costs and put the rest of the settlement into your bank account.
In the state of Arizona, you can use the following to pay for medical bills and expenses after an auto accident:
- Health insurance
- Auto insurance
- Supplemental insurance (such as AFLAC)
In some instances, your healthcare provider may use a medical lien to cover your healthcare costs.
Some car insurance plans will have coverages you can use as well. The Law Badgers can help you figure out if your insurance plan will help you or not.
If you have any questions about how to pay for your medical bills, a medical lien, using Medicaid for your Phoenix auto accident, or anything else about your car accident, call The Law Badgers so we can discuss your options together. You’re not alone and our lawyers are here to help, defend you, and are down to fight for you. We’re willing to go to court so you can get what you’re entitled to.
If you’ve been injured and need a lawyer who will fight for your rights, call Law Badgers at 480-856-8128 or email us at [email protected] We’re here to help.